VxWorks RTOS | Wind River VxWorks RTOS Overview
VxWorks RTOS is the industry leading real-time operating system (RTOS). For more than 30 years, the VxWorks® real-time operating system (RTOS) has been chosen by global industry leaders as the trusted foundation to power billions of safety-critical intelligent devices, machines, and systems. Its rich functionality helps customers deploy innovative products while lowering costs and shortening production cycles.
From literally out-of-this-world projects such as the InSight Mars lander, now operating on the Red Planet, to medical infusion pumps and imaging systems, manufacturing robots, and other embedded devices in the Internet of Things (IoT), VxWorks is repeatedly selected as the RTOS for innovative solutions that deliver secure, safe, and reliable applications across a wide array of industries, including aerospace, automotive, defense, industrial, medical, and transportation.
Recommended : Top IoT Operating Systems in 2020 | IoT OS and RTOS
Features of VxWorks RTOS
VxWorks contains a broad suite of advanced features and protocols that help address a host of specialized needs unique to specific industries.
- Single and multi-core processor support with asymmetric multiprocessing (AMP) and symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) with support for CPU affinity
- Priority-based preemptive/adaptive scheduling
- Time and space partitioning
- Separation between kernel and memory-protected user-space environments
- POSIX Conformant
- Kernel scalability, modularity, and performance tuning
- State-of-the-art memory protection and memory management
- Virtualization ready with virtio support
- Multi-OS messaging
- Arm, Power, Intel and RISC-V architecture and board support
Support for Modern Development Languages, Frameworks, and Infrastructures
- C11, C++14, and C++17
- dosFS (FAT-compatible)
- Highly reliable file system (HRFS)
- General purpose and real-time IPv4/IPv6 network stack
- Time sensitive networking (TSN)
- IEEE 1394
- Socket Controller Area Network (SocketCAN)
- USB (host, target, and OTG)
- OpenVG, OpenGL ES1, and OpenGL ES2
- Image library (JPEG and PNG)
- Input device support (mouse, touch, screen, keyboard, etc)
- PCM Audio
- Secure boot, ELF loader, and storage
- Kernel hardening
- Security events
- Built-in access controls
- Advanced user management
- Arm TrustZone with OP-TEE support
- TPM 2.0 support
- Network security protocols
- GE Digital® Achilles Level II certified for compliance with IEC 62443 part 4-2
- Safety certifications for DO-178C, IEC 61508, IEC 62304, and ISO 26262
VxWorks is really amazing RTOS with special features, few are given below:
Support for C++17 – VxWorks is the first RTOS to support C++17. C++ is most widely programming language for the embedded industry. If you run a project team, you will enjoy the lower burden on code maintenance and associated costs. If you are a product manager, you will celebrate the improved runtime performance of your application. And everyone will benefit from the improved security and safety features.
Boost Productivity with Boost 1.71.0 – VxWorks now supports Boost 1.71.0, another RTOS first. Boost offers free, peer-reviewed software libraries for use in C++. The latest version contains substantial updates to many of the Boost libraries, including updates to nearly half of the Beast core.
Python – Developers can use Python to develop applications for VxWorks.
Source of information – Official website of VxWorks RTOS , Visit Official website for more information
Recommended : Smart City and IoT | Role of Internet of Things in Smart City
I hope you like this post. Do you have any questions? Leave a comment down below!
Thanks for reading. If you like this post probably you might like my next ones, so please support me by subscribing my blog.
One thought on “VxWorks RTOS | Wind River VxWorks RTOS Overview”
Pingback: VxWorks RTOS | Wind River VxWorks RTOS Overview | HashStacks