Etcher is a powerful OS image flasher built with web technologies to ensure flashing an SDCard or USB drive is a pleasant and safe experience. Etcher is a free and open-source utility used for burning image files such as .iso and .img files, as well as zipped folders to create live SD cards and USB flash drives. It is developed by balena, and licensed under Apache License 2.0. Etcher was developed using the Electron framework and supports Windows, macOS and Linux. It protects you from accidentally writing to your hard-drives, ensures every byte of data was written correctly and much more. balenaEtcher was originally called Etcher, but its name was changed on October 29, 2018 when Resin.io changed its name to Balena.
- Validated Flashing – No more writing images on corrupted cards and wondering why your device isn’t booting.
- Hard Drive Friendly – Makes drive selection obvious to avoid wiping your entire hard-drive
- Beautiful Interface – Who said flashing SD cards has to be an eyesore.
- Open Source – Made with JS, HTML, node.js and Electron. Dive in and contribute!
- Cross Platform – Works for everyone, no more complicated install instructions.
- More on the way – 50% faster flashes, simultaneous writing for multiple drives.
Supported Operating Systems
- Linux (most distros)
- macOS 10.9 and later
- Microsoft Windows 7 and later
Debian and Ubuntu based Package Repository (GNU/Linux x86/x64)
- Add Etcher debian repository:
echo "deb https://deb.etcher.io stable etcher" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/balena-etcher.list
- Trust Bintray.com’s GPG key:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 379CE192D401AB61
- Update and install:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install balena-etcher-electron
sudo apt-get remove balena-etcher-electron sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/balena-etcher.list sudo apt-get update
Redhat (RHEL) and Fedora based Package Repository (GNU/Linux x86/x64)
- Add rpm repository:
sudo wget https://balena.io/etcher/static/etcher-rpm.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/etcher-rpm.repo
- Update and install:
sudo yum install -y balena-etcher-electron
sudo dnf install -y balena-etcher-electron
sudo yum remove -y balena-etcher-electron sudo rm /etc/yum.repos.d/etcher-rpm.repo sudo yum clean all sudo yum makecache fast
sudo dnf remove -y balena-etcher-electron sudo rm /etc/yum.repos.d/etcher-rpm.repo sudo dnf clean all sudo dnf makecache
Solus (GNU/Linux x64)
sudo eopkg it etcher
sudo eopkg rm etcher
Brew Cask (macOS)
Note that the Etcher Cask has to be updated manually to point to new versions, so it might not refer to the latest version immediately after an Etcher release.
brew cask install balenaetcher
brew cask uninstall balenaetcher
This package is maintained by @majkinetor, and is kept up to date automatically.
choco install etcher
choco uninstall etcher
You may like also: